BuckSlayer 24-Mar-12
Rob Nye 24-Mar-12
BuckSlayer 24-Mar-12
BuckSlayer 24-Mar-12
Canadian Caveman. 24-Mar-12
BuckSlayer 26-Mar-12

Date:24-Mar-12
BuckSlayer's Supporting Link

Check out and Discuss my Hiebert Whitetail hunting property! Hit the link above to view.

Very nice. But what about me? Can't I come to learn to hunt and enjoy the outdoors also? PM me with directions.... When will hell freeze over? Enjoy your property and time spent with your kids.

Haha! Thanks Rob! When I start producing giants like you have we'll swap a hunt! ;)

Any advice guys? This is the small 40 acre farm my dad and I bought last year. I've enjoyed a little bit of hunting on it, we have a strong doe herd but not a lot of big bucks.....yet. The fields are alfalfa and fallow grass. I'm planning on a few different types of crops this year to improve early season deer sightings. The late season is no problem as lots of deer hitting the alfalfa. The property is wide open with tons of potential as there are kinda rolling hills with some small ridges that slope to lower areas. Hardwoods surround with oaks and maples. The deer seem to favor the back as its lower by quite a bit and they can stay out of sight of the road and surrounding homes. Food plots are not allowed in Manitoba for the purpose of hunting, but we can "farm" whatever crop we want. I have many areas besides this to hunt, but I own this one and want to see it turn into something I can use to teach my 3 yr old daughter and 5 month old son the beauty of hunting and the outdoors. Was thinking soybeans but the local farmers often plant those in surrounding fields anyway, so I don't know if that would be a huge draw. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

The photo shows the property. Black lines are most traveled deer paths. The red lines are ridges. The creek is mostly dry unless we have a lot of rain. We own all the toys I need. Back hoe, quads, small plot tractor, big tractor... list goes on. So I have tons of options.

Hey Chad. I don't know if you've been following my QDM thread on the manitoba forum but I think your property would be PERFECT for a winter wheat/clover rotation! Do you have any local hobby farmers that could use some free/cheap forage?

Date:26-Mar-12

Thanks for the info Ryan! I'll PM you with a few questions yet.

Pat, the river isn't deep but has some steep banks in areas. The place I have Stand 1 is part of the S curve that has lower bank on both sides. Deer seem to cross there as there is a trail, but that side the guy hunts. North and south of me there is no hunting that I know of. From my observation, the deer have less issue about crossing in the middle of the field than traveling the edge where cover is sparse, choosing instead to use terrain dips as cover.

My long term plan is to first balance the herd a bit with some doe management, begin planting deer friendly trees as an eventual draw as well as some kind of shelter to give them more reason to hang around longer. Right now the deer seem to have scattered again but the late season showed me what I needed to know with 20 plus deer on the back field regularly. So I know they are there. What surprised me was the lack of mature bucks showing up at the scrape I had a camera on all season right in front of Stand 1. Coyotes, does, cats and even a tresspasser! All season, had 2 or 3 dunks and one mature 8 mid November. So the either avoid the area or they just aren't there.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.