dillkill 05-Jun-12
Bow Crazy 05-Jun-12
CPAhunter 06-Jun-12
Bow Crazy 07-Jun-12
wildlifehunter 10-Jun-12
CPAhunter 14-Jun-12
Jack Harris 14-Jun-12

Date:03-Jun-12

Swisher reviews are all over the board. Let's hear some opinions. I have approx 15 acres of hayfield to cut plus a little brushing now and then. Looking for a pull-behind mower for my ATV. PTO not an option.

DR Mower? Twice the price. Agrifab or Swisher? Others? Models, sizes etc?

Date:03-Jun-12

I dont know about their mowers but I have a plow from them and it is SOLID! I looked at other plows and mounting systems and kept coming back to Swisher due to price, tons of positive reviews, made in the USA, and very heavy duty.

My atv in the winter with that plow is awesome....I dont care how much it snows that thing does not budge at all.

I would buy a mower from them if I did not have my 60" zero turn mower.

Date:04-Jun-12

I have used a Swisher to rough cut my two acres for the last 4 years. I have a 44" that I pull with my ATV. It does a good job and it's a real time saver over a riding mower. I bought it on a friends recommendation. He has 10 times the amount of ground to cut and he is on his third unit. He had good luck with the lower end units but when he bought the largest model in the top of there line he feels it was a waste of money. The big unit only had a couple of hours on it before it was in the shop. He has less than eight hours on the big unit for two trips to the shop for repair. He swears that unit is a solid lemon. I like my 44" unit for the work on my 2 acre field. Good Luck!

I have the 60" Swisher trail mower that I cut about 14 acres 2-3 times a month. The only problem I've had in 7 years was last month when the timing gear slipped on the cam, and that was a problem with B&S, not Swisher. Solid equipment.

-Joe

Joe the "44 is on sale here for $1599 whereas the 60" I believe is around $2,300. Is it worth another $700? Although I looked on Swisher's website and the next size up is 52". Do they make a rough cut 60"?

I'm surprised more opinions aren't offered about trailmowers. Maybe I should have mentioned a mechanical broadhead or fixed blade shot over the foodplot I'd be mowing :)

I've had a 44 inch Swisher for 7-8 years. Works pretty good. I have the rough cut. Wish it would cut higher than it does. Cuts too low for clover food plots.

I have a Swisher rough cut.

Runs well....cuts well.

Date:05-Jun-12

I have had the 60" finish cut for going on ten years. I cut about 5 acres a week with it. The fact that it still runs after all the time and abuse is amazing. I have replaced just about every mechanical part except the motor itself and it is next. I cut around 10mph if not faster and it kicks grass. All mowers require lots of maintenance and this is no exception. Still, this machine has served me very well over the years.

Date:05-Jun-12

We have an Estate Rough Cut Mower and really like it. It takes a lot of abuse so get the biggest unit you can. We picked the Estate becaue a local dealer sold them at the time and to us they seem to be more of a heavier duty unit. Also, a buddy had a Swisher and got rid of it for an Estate.

We mow CRP fields, between rows of trees in a tree plantation - a lot of tall grasses/weeds and small trees/shrubs.

From the review above I would say the Swisher is a good machine as well.

Side Note: You can cut clover really low and it will do fine. I cut a 1/3 of an acre with my push lawn mower twice a year and it does great. Just be sure you are not in a drought. BC

Date:06-Jun-12

Leaning towards the DR.........double the price but 1/10 the maintenance from my research. 20HP motor on DR vs 14.5 on the Swisher.

Date:07-Jun-12

We also have a walk behind DR mower and love it as well. The customer service is awesome! Look in your area for dealers that can do their warranty work - the closer the better just in case. BC

Date:10-Jun-12

I have the 44" and use it for both buisness and my own use. Bought new 6-7 years ago. It won't replace a brushog but for you requirements it should fit the bill. I use it alot in back area's or places you can't get with tractor. (low tree's or wooded opening)The things will not cut a clean cut in taller grass that the 4-wheeler has nocked down. Under 12" is tends to clean cut but will still leave tracks. when offset it will only clean cut about 30-35". You learn real fast to reverse direction every pass it does a much nicer job. I will mow the ouside of a field a couple passes and then cut a strip up the middle and then do figure 8"s reversing the dirrection so I don't have to back up to turn around. I don't mow with it offset I find it easier to pull strait. It works great for clearing brushy grown up fields. Will mow treees 2-3" with no problem. Will cut low enough to really stall the growth of clover, or can be raised for those that like to leave it looking like a salad bar and mow it more than a couple times a season. The deck heigth hand crank works ok, but could have been longer. I lengthed mine. I would recomend putting tubes in the tires and then filling those with tire sealant to help with flat tires especialy if you are brush cutting. I have had no mechanical issues with mine. The tung is a little on the light side but I have had no issues. The belt is a pain to change you end up pulling the motor off and then fishing it down through I can do it in about an hour. The belt last a couple of seasons. I change it every year so no brake downs in the field. It is just a standard v-belt that can be bought at tractor supply. I made up an attatchment for the controls that just comes off with a single pin. I can totaly unhook from it in less than a minute or the same to put it on. I would not recomend buying the electric start model, mine starts on the first pull every time and pulls easy. Seems to be good on gas. I wish the fuel tank was larger. Good machine for the money and would recomend it.

Date:14-Jun-12

I bought the DR pull behind. It seems like a beast! Just looking at the unit you can tell it is built twice the quality of the swisher. 20 HP Kohler engine, ATV style tires etc. Got a great deal on it for under $3,000 since it was the last unit the dealer had and it is a prior year model. I'll likely use it for 10, 20, heck maybe 30 years if I live long enough so spending the extra money is hopefully wise considering the maintenance records of the DR vs. other brands.

Date:14-Jun-12

I have the 17HP Kawasaki engine DR pull behind. It is a beast of a machine. Not the widest cut in world. Here are my observations: A) cuts weeds and brush much better than grass, although if you keep the blades sharp it can cut grass OK. B) Impossible to use it any other way then the straight tow behind option. It can articulate and offset so you are not running mower behind your ATV tires and missing all that grass that gets compacted. I have tried it several times and it's impossible to turn, so no point in even having that option. Too frustrating to bother. C) Although mower deck isa little wider than my 660 Grizzly ATV, the only thing thats getting cut is what's between your quad tires, due to the inline nature of the grass being compacted by ATV tires... This requires two passes to get a clean mow. Therefore if you want a versatile machine capable of cutting heavy weeds and brush, but still be able to mow grass/clover/plots - the DR would work. If you are going mainly with plot mowing - go with wider deck and something that better cuts grass...

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.