Habitat for Wildlife 30-Jun-12
Habitat for Wildlife 30-Jun-12
Habitat for Wildlife 24-Jul-12
Tater John 24-Jul-12
writer 24-Jul-12
Habitat for Wildlife 25-Jul-12

Date:23-Mar-12
Habitat for Wildlife's Supporting Link

Check out and Discuss my Fraebin Sanctuary hunting property! Hit the link above to view.

Date:23-Mar-12
Habitat for Wildlife's Supporting Link

The link above is to the original thread of this project. This 1.5 acre sanctuary is evenly split between NG and food. The food portion is currently turnips planted last August. I will post a picture tomorrow. The turnips have come back and are heading out. They were never touched by the deer last fall; however, the rye grain planted with the turnips receives regular deer visits. The rotting bulbs are really stinking now!

We are converting the food portion to NG as well. The plot has been too effective at attracting deer which started to devour Robin's flowers and so she asked me to do something about it. Also, we have too many rabbits which in turn have attracted so many coyotes that our two labs are having frequent encounters with the yotes that are getting bolder.

I thought it might be interesting to document the process again as well as post updates about the wildlife adjusting to the changes.

Date:24-Mar-12

Habitat for Wildlife's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here's the picture from this AM, 4 weeks after burning. The NG has sprouted everywhere, which is early but I'm sure the ground warmed up quicker there due to direct sunlight and the early spring we are having here.

Other threads asked about turnips, so this is an example of second year growth. I need to get these tilled under ASAP.

Date:27-Mar-12

I used my King Kutter ATV disk, and 400 cc 4X4 ATV to disk under the 2' tall turnips yesterday. The ground was too wet for a heavy tractor and I wanted to use these plants to green manure the soil in preparation for planting the NG. I will work the ground at least one more time before planting. Here is a pre-disk picture of the 2nd year turnips seeding out.

Date:27-Mar-12

Here is when I was just about finished.

Date:05-Apr-12

Update time. I tilled the remaining trash under last week. Today I got up early and planted the food plot area with the NG. Here are the steps I took:

A) Broadcasted 40lbs of feed oats for cover and soil stabilization using tractor and 3 point fertilizer spreader.

B) Broadcasted 2 lbs of eastern gamma seed with hand spreader.

C) Used ATV to pull a drag harrow with points facing back to cover the above larger seeds about .5"

D) Used my tactor with above spreader to broadcast fluffy NG seed consisting of Big and Little Blue, Indian, Side Oats.

E) Used hand seeder to spread 2 lbs of Switch grass.

F) Used hand seeder to spread 4 lbs of wildflower mix.

G) Used tractor and 8' Kasco cultipacker to firm seed into soil.

H) Prayed that God would let it rain in a timely manner-the most important step:)

Wehave had an unbelievably warm spring. Last week we had several days in the upper 80s! This has really turned on the NG planted in 2009 that we burned in February. Some plants are already over 1' tall, which is very unusual for early April.

Even after tilling everything under, we are still getting deer visiting just about every night-and yotes as well. This guy is already growing his. I really believe having a lick keeps deer coming to one's property and by leaving their scent it makes other deer and other wildlife more at ease.

Wrong picture, here it is.

Date:08-Apr-12

Thanks Pat. The rods are the stand for it when it is unattached from the tractor. It's just easier for me to raise them and hook them in the up position as opposed to removing them.

Date:01-May-12

These micro projects really do work. We started finally receiving rain this past Saturday, and what a difference it has made. The lick started being hit almost immediately, which is typical of what I have observed-they use it most when the moisture content in the plants they are digesting is highest.

We have had deer, turkeys, coyotes and bunches of small game in the last 48 hours. I am hoping a hen which keeps appearing might nest along the woody creek area as happened several years ago. I hope to see if any of the bucks made it from previous years. This doe looks pregnant for sure.

Remember, this is a rural community with fairly close housing density. This project has taught me a ton about wildlife behavior. I know biologists in KS have started to re-think the size of a turkey's needed habitat, and I think with good reason.

I planted a row of sunflower seeds this morning on the east side, closest to where the picture is taken from. Robin's flowers along the fence are amazing and this picture does not do it justice. She has basically transplanted the flowers from other gardens throughout the yard. We will make this visually more pleasing by swooping out a couple of areas, once she has enough plants to divide again.

We have eliminated 1/2 of our 3 acres from mowing, improved the habitat for a more diverse wildlife, and really to us it is more visually pleasing than just a lawn. Some neighbors like it, and others do not, but it is hidden from view from just about everyone except our immediate neighbors-who thankfully tell us they like it:)

The burning this year really stressed the lower branches of the oaks. I will trim them up further this winter, and might consider mowing the NG about 2' tall before burning next year. Eventually I will need to eliminate some oaks just for proper sunlight to reach the NG, but that is years away.

This is the 4th growing season for the NG, so this past year when we burned the fire was noticeably hotter due to a bigger fuel load.

The above two pictures were taken by me from the east side as I stood on the neighbor's pond dam. The wildlife pictures were taken by a game camera which is located on the north edge of the food plot, on the right side of the above pictures. There is about 25 yards of woods and then a small creek, then 25 yards more woods and then more housing behind that.

Date:02-May-12

Very nice.... good for you.

Date:15-May-12

Thank you.

Here is a picture from today. The oats have come in nicely. We are still short on the rain this year. I think I might see a sprig or two of NG and some forbs, but like the last time there will probably not be much showing the first year in terms of the NG.

We would like to get a steel profile of a buffalo to place in the field. I'll search on-line but if anyone has a suggestion let it fly.

By: Bake

Frank, go steal one of the buffalo silhouetes that are around 435 and Bannister over on the MO side :) You can get a wagon too! :)

Bake

LOL! I thought of that when we drove by on Saturday, but by the time I could turn around they were already stolen:) And so was the rest of the mall! LOL! I'm sure you understand!

How big is your property?

Only 3 acres, but it is adjacent to 50 acres of common grounds and it is all agriculture outside the development. A creek is in the woods on the right side of the last picture, with a .5 acre pond behind where I was standing and a 7 acre pond about 300 yards in front of the picture.

Date:17-May-12

Very nice.

Date:30-Jun-12

I mowed the foxtail and oats down about 1 week ago. We have been extremely dry. I may see one sprig of NG on the entire new area planted, which is on the right side of this picture. The left side which is the established NG is doing OK. It is shorter than normal after having a great start post spring burning. The dry weather has reduced leaf growth. The Big Bluestem and switch grass as well as side oats have a headed out. I will mow again before winter at a higher setting-12-15" or so on the right side. Hopeful that since the oats grew to full height and seeded out that we had enough moisture to get some of the NG seed growing roots. Obviously you don't see much growth above ground the first year, but this is the worst I have ever observed for my own plantings. Same source for seed, many varieties, same preparation/planting methods employed-so I assume the very dry weather is the culprit. Hopefully enough seed will also remain dormant until next year, and that next year conditions will have improved!

Date:30-Jun-12

This doe had twin fawns we believe-one on our property near the creek, and one two neighbors down on the creek as well. If it is the same doe she has a scar on her top left side. The dry weather has brought the lick usage to a stop-no buck pictures for over a month.

Date:24-Jul-12

It appears both fawns have made it and are running together with mom now. Pretty exciting for us here!

If you don't mind me asking what was your NG ratio and price per lb? A couple of year backs I wanted to reclaim some of my property after spending a spring day in the Tall Grass Prarie in Osage Co. but I choked at the seed cost. Your places are to inspiring and I want to look at doing something like you have next spring.

Rusty

By: writer

Here in Kansas the state game department has a program that about pays for the seed.

Some groups like Pheasants or Quail Forever also have some good seed programs.

Talk to your local game biologist and/or NRCS office to see what's available.

They'll probably want you to plant plenty of forbs, which are really solid food for a variety of birds and mammals, including deer....and it doesn't suck checking your new plot and seeing all of those wild flowers in bloom, either!

BTW....Habitat taught me all of this stuff.

Date:25-Jul-12

Rusty,

What writer said. And we have taught each other! Thanks Mike.

See if your land qualifies for CRP through NRCS. If it does, and you are willing to lock it up for a certain number of years, like writer said the seed should be covered and you will earn some revenue as well.

FYI, our state biologist (KDWPT) donated much of the seed for this project, without enrolling it in any program. I added some more tall grass varieties and the dirty dozen of forbs for extra color. The biologists in both states I deal with (KS & MO) are excellent in both knowledge and willingness to assist you and want to see these types of projects be successful. NG seed is expensive no matter where you purchase it.

Thank you and good luck! Keep us posted if you do plant.

Frank

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.