Corn bore 30-Jun-14
Corn bore 05-Jul-14
drycreek 05-Jul-14
t-roy 05-Jul-14
writer 06-Jul-14
MDW 06-Jul-14

Date:04-Jun-14

nutritionist's MOBILE embedded Photo

Sometimes the bed laid plans with food plots need to be revamped because of mother nature. My cannamaize plot that has eagle beans in row on part of it, and another roundup ready bean in another were under water Monday.

Instead of seeing possible failure, as I looked at the field, my mind was in, now what should I plant mode. The options are many, and the disappointment less than in past years.

So, it's June 4th and there still will be a few days before the soil will dry enough to re-plant. The soil that stays under water the longest also will be the most compacted and with a lower oxygen content. What to do?

If any of you have had situations like this, what have you done? What would anyone like to see planted ? I'd welcome feedback since this year i'm in total experimental mode.

My options i'm pondering are: Spray on humid acid to loosen the soil. Refertilize as the fertilizer is by now half way to the mississippi. Reseed cannamaize as it is a 67 day variety. I am checking for the replant policy on cannamaize as many seed companies do have replant discounts on seed thats needed to be replanted. I could throw in a 4 bean mix, since i've wanted to experiment with that anyways. I could just go back out there with strips of eagle beans, another forage bean, and a mix of eagle beans and a bean that throws good pods but is a bushy type.

One last option is to Create some cover/food source by using a product that is cadan sorghum sudangrass mixed with 7.3 maturity conventional forage soybeans.

Date:04-Jun-14

my condolences - all that hard work down the drain... Good that you have time to rebound and salvage something out of it... good luck

Date:08-Jun-14

Plenty of time to replant corn especially if only 67 day variety. Doesn't look like anything sprouted yet you sure it is dead?

I wasn't worried. I had tons of solutions and the best is usually to have patience and wait. The water went down and the corn exploded. This is actually a good test of the Cannamaize. Flooding was the first issue. Weeds are the new issue to address and then i'm sure drought will be the next test of this variety.

You see, i plant a lot of things to try NOT TO GET IT TO GROW. Anything that can handle extreme stresses and less than ideal conditions, should be a great option for others.

The rest of the story here is this field hasn't been able to be planted the last 2 years. It can be wet at times, then gets over run with giant ragweed. Sure, you can hit it up with glyphosate but you can only spray so often. I also could have layed down prowl and dual preemerge/early post emerge for residual weed control but I want to know how this variety works onder weed pressure, as many of you do not have the means or equipment to always get timely applications of herbidices.

The soybeans took a beating, and so i'll go back in an lay down a couple different varieties of beans close to the cannamaize rows. The Cannamaize handled that water like a trouper.

Very curious to see how cannamaize looks when grown. I have similar situation with some of my plots seems last few years either flooded or dry.

http://www.canamaizeus.com/

This is the first year i've planted it. A buddy sells it and I use to have people bring up canamaize and so i thought i'd better test it out myself.

What i've seen so far is explosive growth. It was under water a couple days, and one wouldn't know it by looking at it. I'll take pics every couple weeks. The field I planted it has had major giant rag weed issues because of it's location, and the type of soil. One can't get it planted very early and since it's a peat marsh, frost hits this hard earlier than anywhere else in the area as the cold settles in there. The corn dies but the weeds again usually take over.

What do I predict will happen with this plot? I predict 4 1/2 feet tall corn that throws decent size ears. I also bet next spring there will be a flush growth of clovers, even though no clovers were planted this year nor will any be planted.

People overlook that clover seed stays in the soil for many years and knowing this soil the way I do, i bet with lower weed pressure, the clovers will pop up next spring if i run a disc through that field. We no tilled the canamaize.

By: writer
writer's Supporting Link

Here's a link to that new cannabis plant, or whatever Nutri is pushing now. :-)

If they go through there first, does that make them spend more time in the other food plots?

Seriously, please keep us posted. Sounds like it would work on some of our plots.

Date:30-Jun-14

The flooded field, actually got flooded a 2nd time 2 weeks ago. 1 week ago the field was sprayed with glyphosate to kill the giant ragweed.

The first pic shows the eagle beans in between the cannamaize rows. The beans were really stunted because of the rain but they are now coming alive. Note the health of the corn to the right and how the flooded area is needing nitrogen, as what was laid down was washed away/leached away.

Pic 2 shows the cannamaize on the headlands. The low spots were all under water but the headlands drained within a few hours. Look at how tall the cannamaize is and it's only been in the ground about 5 weeks.

sorry bout that...this pic didnt end up getting posted first...this is the cannamaize with soybeans interseeded.

Yesterday we had 1 1/2 inches of rain on it and over 10 inches in total for June. This is a great test to cannamaize as well as the eagle beans and legend beans.

I'll hit the crops up with plant foods on the 4th and it should snap the low/flooded areas back into healthy plants/dark color.

Ok I said something here now......., clover was finally starting to get some moisture and looking good then Big Sioux crested 3 feet above previous record. Question is will it live being underwater for 5 to 7 days? Soil is very well drained ( sandy).

Corn bore's embedded Photo

Not the clover but it is starting.

Corn bore's embedded Photo

This is the high ground clover is lower.

Date:05-Jul-14

Got camper out today. Clover is toast looks like a lot of fall annuals this year.

Corn bore, that makes for some damp sleeping quarters don't it ?

By: t-roy

Corn bore, that looks just like my corn & bean food plots on the Des Moines River. Except for the camper, unless one floated in from upstream!

That's the biggest downside to plots on the river.

By: writer
Date:06-Jul-14

Sorry Corn Bore...and I have buds in western Kansas who won't get a wheat crop because of three straight years of drought.

This Mother Nature chick sure isn't very good about spreading the wealth.

At least you're probably working with very fertile ground, so fall-planted crops should do well, I hope.

By: MDW
Date:06-Jul-14

"This Mother Nature chick sure isn't very good about spreading the wealth". But she's not all bad either.

Seven years ago, this past Friday, I got home to seven foot of water in my house.

She forced me to upgrade to a newer house on more ground and outside the city.

Bowsite.com DeerBuilder on FacebookYouTube Channel Contact DeerBuilder
Registration
Facebook Page
YouTube Channel
Advertise
Bowsite.com
Copyright © 2012 Bowsite.com. No duplication without prior consent.